[Openstack-operators] Atlanta Summit - More Ops? ;)
Tom Fifield
2014-03-16 23:54:53 UTC
Hi all,

Would you like more time at the summit to talk OpenStack ops? Read on!

Of course, we will have a dedicated Operations track in the conference -
and it's going to be better than ever this year, with an all-new
selection group ... all of whom actually run clouds.

However, we've never really had many design-summit style
feedback/sharing sessons for ops. Let's change that.

Would you find it useful to have a space to share architectures, best
practices, and give feedback on the bits of OpenStack that are giving
you pain? Or perhaps find out how to get more involved in the Open
Design process? Help us justify locking away a few rooms :)

Just to start the discussion, I have written up a straw man proposal/RFC
of one potential use of the time. It's specifically designed to be
ripped to shreds - so please do!

The idea is to have something that's more like a design summit feel -
people sitting in a room discussing things, as opposed to more
presentations.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC

So, what would you like to see?

Regards,

Tom
Tom Fifield
2014-03-27 03:20:47 UTC
All,

The idea for this "Operators Summit" has received excellent support, and
we have more than twenty session ideas proposed in the etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC

We've blocked out a room on Monday to host it.

What we need now is:
1) Find moderators for the sessions
2) Select which sessions are going to happen
3) For the architecture show-and-tell, we probably need to select who
will present in this.

If you can help with any of this, please do get in touch, or get your
name down on the etherpad. I'll be in contact soon.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Fifield
2014-03-28 09:34:47 UTC
All,

I had a bit of a play around, combining some similar things from the
suggestions, and was able to come up with something that I think covers
everything that was suggested. If it's way off - no problems, we can go
to a vote or similar.

Also had a go at selecting moderators for sessions based on our
volunteers - feel free to strike yourself out or move around.

All of this is up for discussion and change, so read below and head on
over to the etherpad, or post a reply email :)

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC

Monday
0700 - 1115 Registration, Keynotes, Break
1115 - 1155 Ask the devs: Meet the PTLs and TC, How to get the best
out of the design summit
1205 - 1245 Reasonable Defaults

1400 - 1440 Upgrades and Deployment Approaches
1450 - 1530 Architecture Show and Tell, Tales and Fails
1540 - 1620 Architecture Show and Tell, Tales and Fails

1730 - 1810 Security (MODERATOR NEEDED)

Schedule: Friday
9:00 - 9:40 Enterprise Gaps
9:50 - 10:30 Database

10:50 - 11:30 Issues at Scale
11:40 - 12:20 Monitoring and Logging

1:20 - 2:00 Ansible (MODERATOR NEEDED)
2:10 - 2:50 Chef
3:00 - 3:40 Puppet

4:00 - 4:40 Networking
4:50 - 5:30 Best discovery of the week, Meta Discussion - ops
communication and governance

Regards,

Tom
John Dewey
2014-03-29 16:44:24 UTC
As all the current projects are having PTL elections, I thought I would throw this out there.
Would it make sense to have an ops PTL? I could see this being useful in some ways,
and not in others. Maybe something to discuss at the un-conference.

John
Post by Tom Fifield
[...]
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
This is the kind of thing that would fit into the governance section on Friday afternoon at 16h50.

There are benefits in having a clear PTL but many of the operator candidates have ?day jobs? which do not necessarily allow the sort of time that a PTL post could require.

Tim

On 17/03/14 07:54, Tom Fifield wrote:
[...]

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I think an ops PTL would require a clear set of tasks that an ops
program was working on. We have examples of largely codeless programs
now (release management, security) but its still important that the
program have a set of shared goals.

You can see the requirements for a new program here:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/new-programs-requirements

Cheers,
Michael
Rackspace Australia
Jonathan Proulx
2014-03-29 23:04:09 UTC
I agree that having some form of formal coordination would be useful,
that the final Friday session in Atlanta is good time to discuss it.
Whether we want (or need) a "PTL" as defined in OpenStack governance
or something else like a program chair or committee with a more
limited role of coordinating summit or other conference talks is at
this point very open I think.

I can certainly see an advantage to having a full operations program,
but as Tim (I believe) pointed out finding a set of qualified people
with enough time to do anything useful is particularly difficult (I
say as I sit typing in my office at 19:05 local time Saturday having
been here since noon)....
matt
2014-03-29 23:59:07 UTC
There are several needs as yet unmet in the openstack project family.

I know at my employer ( a large notable openstack cloud ), we have been
working internally on some cmdb style APIs that we may or may not target
for open source contribution.

I think there's also a need for operations to own parts of OOO, ceilometer,
and other projects.

So I don't know how to structurally target operations involvement other
than maybe the post of an embedded operations person in core of a project
that is relevant. But they would have to be a heavy contributor. That
seems outside scope of the openstack foundation.

That being said, maybe an OSSG style group of contributors who work to
target project development and documentation sprints for the community.

-Matt
Post by Michael Still
I think an ops PTL would require a clear set of tasks that an ops
program was working on. We have examples of largely codeless programs
now (release management, security) but its still important that the
program have a set of shared goals.
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/new-programs-requirements
Post by Michael Still
Cheers,
Michael
Post by John Dewey
Would it make sense to have an ops PTL?
So, my reading is we already have such governance established - but
rather than being an individual, it is a committee - the user committee.
We'll need to tweak it a bit I guess, but in fact it is already set up
such that the TC _must_[1] listen to it ... for at least four hours per
year ;)

Since the number of users majorly outweighs the number of developers in
a project, we probably do need more than a single individual. Tim, Ryan
and JC have done very well in this extremely difficult position so far.

However, I think if we can rally around the user committee, get some
more people in and start doing even more things it might just satisfy
the need for extra governance we're seeking.

Thoughts? What would you see this group doing?

Regards,

Tom

[1] 4.14 User Committee. The User Committee shall be an advisory
committee to the Board of Directors and shall be comprised of at least
three (3) Individual Members, one (1) appointed by the Technical
Committee, one (1) appointed by the Board of Directors, and one (1)
appointed by the appointees of the Technical Committee and Board of
Directors. The User Committee shall organize its meetings and may, on
approval of the Board of Directors, create elected seats to be filled by
a vote of the Individual Members. On request of the User Committee, the
Board of Directors shall invite the User Committee to attend each
regular quarterly meeting and shall allocate at least one (1) hour
during the regular quarterly meeting following the annual election to
hear the report and recommendations of the User Committee. On request of
the User Committee, the Technical Committee shall invite the User
Committee to attend a regular meeting and shall allocate at least one
(1) hour during such meeting up to four times each calendar year to hear
the report and recommendations of the User Committee.
Post by John Dewey
John
Jonathan Proulx
2014-03-31 14:35:29 UTC
Some Monday morning pre-coffee thoughts
So, my reading is we already have such governance established - but rather
than being an individual, it is a committee - the user committee. We'll need
to tweak it a bit I guess, but in fact it is already set up such that the TC
_must_[1] listen to it ... for at least four hours per year ;)
That's definitely a front runner in my mind, cheers to all the hard
work the existing committee have done around surveys, the expanded
operations track and everything else.

I do think it's a bit confusingly named & that this stems from a
fundamental flaw in OpenStack community though, that there are two
parts of the community, "Developers" and "Users" and that "User" means
someone who deploys and maintains cloud infrastructure.

As I see it there's (at least) three major community segments, from
smallest to largest:

* Developer, who write the code
* Operators/Administrators/(pick your title), who build and maintain
production clouds
* Users who actually deploy applications on top of the cloud

Obviously many individuals and organizations fall into multiple
categories and within "Users" as writ above there's a variety of
constituencies that could be broken out.

In terms of Governance do the "User Committee" cover all that is not
dev? That's really a huge amount of ground to cover and I do think
they've done a great job of it, especially on the ops side as
evidenced by this discussion, and I can see they're reaching out more
to the end users as well or starting to.

I'd be interested to hear what those who've been doing the job think
needs to be done to scale out and cover the whole constituency? More
member, more volunteer staff, sub-committees, distinct operators and
end user committees, or perhaps the existing structure is sufficient?
Thoughts? What would you see this group doing?
I think the user surveys have been very valuable in seeing how
OpenStack is used in the wild, continuing that and refining the
questions so we can identify community priorities is a worthy goal and
an ongoing task that should definitely be continued.

Facilitating the organization of summit tracks & possible inter-summit
ops gatherings is another I think we have broad agreement on as that
seems to be happening.

Do we want to produce tangible best practices or example architectures
possibly by inviting in existing configuration management tools? That
maybe a reach both in terms of our time availability and the interest
of the people who are doing that work now to come in under a new
umbrella. If that, or something like that were our goal then a PTL
type structure would probably make more sense.

-Jon
Joe Topjian
2014-03-31 14:43:42 UTC
Post by Jonathan Proulx
As I see it there's (at least) three major community segments, from
* Developer, who write the code
* Operators/Administrators/(pick your title), who build and maintain
production clouds
* Users who actually deploy applications on top of the cloud
+1
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
As I said before,

why not run it as the OSSG is ran? an opt in group that can work together
to focus on initiatives related to operators needs / wants?

an OSOG ( OpenStack Operators Group ). If we want to target development or
documentation efforts we can coordinate there. Also surveys / possibly
setting up something like the UX team for horizon. A group that cleans up
tickets and provides better information for developers. Become a resource
with a structured involvement.

One of the reasons I think this ad hoc method works best is that there is
so much variety in operators. We don't want the rackspaces, and HPs for
the world dominating the discussion / goals. We want the little guys to be
able to contribute meaningfully.

Thoughts?

-Matt
From: matt <matt at nycresistor.com<mailto:matt at nycresistor.com>>
Date: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:55 AM
To: Joe Topjian <joe at topjian.net<mailto:joe at topjian.net>>
Cc: "openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>>
As I said before,
why not run it as the OSSG is ran? an opt in group that can work together to focus on initiatives related to operators needs / wants?
an OSOG ( OpenStack Operators Group ). If we want to target development or documentation efforts we can coordinate there. Also >surveys / possibly setting up something like the UX team for horizon. A group that cleans up tickets and provides better information for >developers. Become a resource with a structured involvement.
I agree, in general, in the ad hoc approach. I'd rather see the output of all this be enhancing the work of the User Committee to articulate the voice of both the "Operators" and the "end users". I think the point earlier in the thread about the dynamic nature of anyone in "operations"'s work day is very valid from a contribution perspective. Honestly, I think we could make up more ground right now by focusing on inter-cycle mini summits and the additional Operations focus at the main summits. The new blueprint review process is also a huge opportunity for "Operators" to contribute in a very meaningful way.
One of the reasons I think this ad hoc method works best is that there is so much variety in operators. We don't want the rackspaces, and >HPs for the world dominating the discussion / goals. We want the little guys to be able to contribute meaningfully.
I totally agree that no one group/company/person should have an overbearing share of influence, but I'd actually argue we have the reverse problem. Much of the design, and implementation of OpenStack is influenced by the smaller, private cloud, style implementations. This is very often noticed during and right after deploys with database migrations, new queries, etc, but there are other areas as well. I would actually like to see these efforts draw out more "Operations" feedback from Rackspace, HP, eBay, CERN, Yahoo, IBM, etc on the pains they are experiencing at scale. That last thing I want is the "big boys" walking around and saying "this is how everything has to be", but I would like to see the larger implementers showing the community where they fear "this thing won't work and here's why" in a collective voice.

For example, it was clear from feedback at the Operator mini-summit that many folks ? both large and small ? don't think Ceilometer is going to scale properly. I know some of the folks offered up to be Core for that product were from larger providers, and were trying to make that very point. They were rejected, but I think that's a failure of lack of collective voice about the issues being seen at scale coming from the community at all sizes. More input from those already trying to run services like this at a massive scale would really help these types of discussions.

Perhaps, we actually need a collection of user groups that are bound by size, type of workloads, Enterprise vs Service Provider, etc. Today, they seem largely based on geography. While I agree that it's easy to slice things as "big" vs "small", I think there are many other useful slices that we can and should build collective voices around.
Thoughts?
-Matt
This is great conversation, though! I love seeing the "Operator" community pushing for more involvement and getting plugged in to OpenStack, as a whole, in new ways. If you haven't already, please take a look at the Extra sessions for the Atlanta summit that Tom put together at the start of this discussion - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC. Back to the main point of this thread, though, we need to do anything we can to keep the momentum going from the mini-summit, blueprint reviews and these extra ATL sessions. It feels like trying to change the overall governance will mire that down a bit. The adhoc approach seems much better ? and more flexible ? as we iterate on the advancements from the last month or so.

Thanks!
Matt

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Joe Topjian <joe at topjian.net<mailto:joe at topjian.net>> wrote:

As I see it there's (at least) three major community segments, from
smallest to largest:

* Developer, who write the code
* Operators/Administrators/(pick your title), who build and maintain
production clouds
* Users who actually deploy applications on top of the cloud

+1

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I spend some time about a year ago writing up some thoughts about the user
committee, and the major goals I thought it should have. The start of that
thread is here:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2012-December/001292.html
but it continues into the January archives as well:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2013-January/001293.html

tl;dr I think that the most important problem for the user committee to
solve is to figure out a dynamic where operators can fully participate in
the project in a deep sense. Openstack has a very developer-centric ethos
and structure, which clashes to a substantial extent with the operator
community. We need to figure out how to productively marry ops culture
(which doesn't focus on writing code, rather on building systems, figuring
out how they break, what features they need, etc) with the development
mission of the project.

I think that Tim's (& co) work on the user summit is a good step in this
direction, but figuring out this culture issue is still the most important
issue to solve.

I'm not lucky enough to have the gift of brevity; several of the mails in
the thread above are quite long, and I think both describe the problems I
see in detail, and also illustrate how the focus on developer culture
doesn't necessarily get the project where it needs to go.
-nld
Post by Tom Fifield
[...]
Narayan I guess the first fundamental question, as I see it is, do
operators deserve a seat at the TC table?

I can see the value of having that insight available at that level. But,
the same can be said of users, and security engineering / policy wonks.
And that opens a door to further pollution of what is supposed to be a
fairly agile team intended to be focused on engineering rather than
politics.

As with any large organization finding that happy medium for working with
other departments is difficult. I don't think that managerially we will
find a total solution. In fact, I think operators, users, and security
folks should NOT be involved in the TC. I think that the TC should be
focused inwards on the engineering effort surrounding the development needs
of OpenStack. If we want to engage at a higher level, then a foundation
seat I think makes more sense.

And, while I think it's important for operators, users, and security wonks
to have buy in at the top of the organization helping to steer over all
direction, I don't think that addresses what most of the operators really
want. Which is the ability to action change more directly. The only
analog I've seen that works for accomplishing this, is embeds. What
openstack needs is full fledged developers who are targeting operator
needs. We need operators who can code embedded in the standard development
process. The reason we need this, is because any effort to contribute to
OpenStack engineering, is going to require it. There is just no way around
that. There's nothing wrong with that either. This does work.

However, obviously not everyone gets to be able to contribute. As stated
previously, many of us have day jobs. We're not given the same levity some
of the community contributor show ponies are. Someone has to go unclog the
tubes and clean up after dazzling forays into user excess. That's where I
see an OSOG ( operators group ) coming into play. The OSOG can set goals
for the contributors or just contribute bugs / blueprints more
effectively. If operators want a seat at the table, I think the best way
to do that is distill the operators needs in a closed group and then reach
out into existing development methods as a unified front. At that point,
embedded operators who contribute can take the ball and run with it, and
developers additionally can assist.

That's the model I think makes the most sense for us in the long term. And
I say this based on experience developing for openstack products and as an
operator on two large openstack clouds.

-Matt
Post by Tom Fifield
[...]
Hi Matt.

I guess that I slice the problem a little bit differently. while I think
that it would be useful to have an advocate on the TC, I think that would
probably only fuel the culture mismatch.

I'm a big believer in incentives; I think in this case, all of the project
level incentives are structured around development contributions, making
unit tests pass, etc. There aren't any incentives explicitly built around
reporting operational issues, helping devs get down to root cause, etc. I
think that motivation from the top in this regard would help a lot more
than having a ops advocate on the TC.
-nld
Post by Tom Fifield
[...]
Incentives is a very interesting question.

What sort of incentives exist for devs?

Acknowledged as Contributor ( ATC ) to OpenStack -- ( resume fodder, free
ticket to summit )
Voting in PTL, TC

I guess those are the official benefits. There are the unofficial ones
such as being saught after in the job market.

What sort of incentives do you envision for operators?

I mean with ATCs it's easy to set a barrier... did you contribute code.
How do you quantify an operators contribution to OpenStack? When an
operator is distinguished as an active contributor do we provide them with
the same abilities as an ATC in dev? There is no PTL for operators... no
need for voting for TC... though maybe they should?

It raises interesting questions. And I think it starts with, do we want to
create a role for an ATC outside of development ( I think we already do for
documentation contributors ). If so, are they an ATC or an ATC*. Then
comes the question of quantifying contribution.

What are your thoughts?

-Matt
From: matt <matt at nycresistor.com<mailto:matt at nycresistor.com>>
Date: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:21 PM
To: Narayan Desai <narayan.desai at gmail.com<mailto:narayan.desai at gmail.com>>
Cc: "openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>>
[...]
So, I'm still working on some longer responses to previous comments in this thread, but with the move of Blueprints to reviews in Gerritt, I think there is a prefect opportunity to build incentives that are applicable to "Operators". Between performing reviews or possibly submitting "patches" to the Blueprints themselves, those of us who don't live primarily in the developer world can actively contribute.
-Matt
Thanks,
Matt VW

Post by matt
[...]
Documentation contributors also use the git/gerrit method for updates, so
it's easy to track ATC status. Same with the Security Group, they are now
housing the Security Notes in a git repo under the openstack org held under
the Documentation Program so that they can integrate with docs and get ATC
status.

I think the Security team's model is a good one to investigate for
operators, though I share Jay's concern about the combination of operator
and admin. Still noodling on that one a little bit.
Post by matt
If so, are they an ATC or an ATC*. Then comes the question of quantifying
contribution.
I think we only have an ATC carrot at the moment. Would like to explore
additional carrots but the governance in place is not easy to re-mold. It'd
be great to get an ops team going that contributes to the Ops Guide and
Admin Guides so work within the existing system while we continue to
discuss possible additions to the governance.

In other words, I think that the incentives for engineers could be the same
as for devs.

Great discussion all.

Anne
Post by matt
What are your thoughts?
-Matt
Post by Tom Fifield
[...]
Thanks for the great input.

I'm trying to track the points raised in the etherpad https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ATL-ops-unconference-RFC for the governance discussion at the summit.

The OSSG model would be an interesting one. While I agree with Jay's admin/operator distinction, I think there is nothing that stops us starting out with 'operator' including both roles and then splitting further later. I am keen on something light and flexible since the effort should be focussed on getting OpenStack better.

I do feel there is a major role distinction between operator and cloud consumer (i.e. someone who uses the API/CLIs to deliver function). There was an item on the OpenStack board meeting last time to discuss how to serve the consumer role better since we are starting to establish an operator community but there is a need to start on the next wave.

The good news is that the by-laws for the user committee are very open. We can establish the structure we wish subject to agreement of JC, Ryan and myself. Thus, there is a real opportunity to get things going in Atlanta if we can find the right set of people to help.

As for rewards, as we gradually move to a blueprint for blueprints model where operators actively review proposals for new function, I think we can establish a criteria for active contribution. Pointing out that a proposal will have scaling or upgrade issues saves hours of subsequent design, coding and deployment effort.

Tim

I don't mean to muddy the waters here but I always looked at the OpenStack
project as having two main camps with two teams in each camp:

1. Camp1: Producers
1. Team: Developers
2. Team: Architects
2. Camp2: Consumers
1. Team: Admins
2. Team: Users

I'm surprised I've been using OpenStack as long as I have and still get
confuzzled to some extent by which teams govern what and the significance
of all the different community roles. Are we trying to decide how to
classify folks in terms of how they interact with this platform or classify
them in terms of who gets a say in driving future OS design?

Mahalo,
Adam

*Adam Lawson*
AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street
Ste. 58461
Wilmington, Delaware 19801-2230
Toll-free: (888) 406-7620
Post by matt
If so, are they an ATC or an ATC*. Then comes the question of
quantifying contribution.
I think we only have an ATC carrot at the moment. Would like to explore
additional carrots but the governance in place is not easy to re-mold. It'd
be great to get an ops team going that contributes to the Ops Guide and
Admin Guides so work within the existing system while we continue to
discuss possible additions to the governance.
In other words, I think that the incentives for engineers could be the
same as for devs.
Great discussion all.
Anne
Post by matt
What are your thoughts?
-Matt
Post by Tom Fifield
[...]
inline
Post by matt
Incentives is a very interesting question.
What sort of incentives exist for devs?
Acknowledged as Contributor ( ATC ) to OpenStack -- ( resume fodder, free
ticket to summit )
Voting in PTL, TC
I guess those are the official benefits. There are the unofficial ones
such as being saught after in the job market.
I think that beyond those top level incentives, there are also more subtle
recognitions as well. Loads of metrics are derived from code contributions,
companies compete over it, etc. Openstack is primarily viewed by most
people as a coding project. (I think this is the wrong strategy, but I
think that the crux of the issue is this view today)
Post by matt
What sort of incentives do you envision for operators?
I think that we should start by considering the ways that we want operators
to contribute:
- design review
- detailed bug reports
- requirements* (this one i think is the best handled at the moment, but
could bear improvement)

Basically, you have people who understand how large systems need to work in
order to function well; you want to capture their expertise and use it to
improve the openstack design/implementation. Telling these people to commit
code is pretty much ass backward, both because they have a different kind
of role, and a different set of expertise, though it is what we tell them
to do today. (they can write doc, which helps others, but not the
contributor, at least not directly).

IMO, the big problem is that there isn't a receptor site for these
contributions. If you file tickets, no one pays attention. There is an
argument that this is the role of commercial outfits, but that doesn't
result in a particularly compete open effort. As far as I can tell, this is
because we don't give devs any incentive to pay attention to real
deployments, aside from any local relationships they might have.

(as an aside, the project has developed a great immune system to cope with
the extreme growth it has faced, but this results in an large barrier to
entry when ops folks try to casually contribute something)

Post by matt
How do you quantify an operators contribution to OpenStack? When an
operator is distinguished as an active contributor do we provide them with
the same abilities as an ATC in dev? There is no PTL for operators... no
need for voting for TC... though maybe they should?
I think this activity should be focused around detailed critiques and bug
reports. That is *the* way that you get ops people involved. You could run
metrics in a similar fashion to the dev side.

I suspect that the early addition of this kind of feedback would result in
a usable ceilometer, just to pick an example out of the air.
Post by matt
It raises interesting questions. And I think it starts with, do we want
to create a role for an ATC outside of development ( I think we already do
for documentation contributors ). If so, are they an ATC or an ATC*. Then
comes the question of quantifying contribution.
What are your thoughts?
I'm not so concerned about the metrics/gamification of it. I'm just tired
of not having anyone to productively work with.
-nld
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Good points, Jonathan. I've added some comments inline...
Post by Jonathan Proulx
[...]
I actually think it is important to segregate the Operators group from
the Administrators group, for one main reason. The activities that each
performs are fundamentally different.

While it is true that for smaller installations, the individuals doing
operator and admin work are the same people, the work that operators and
admins do is quite different.

Operators spend time:

* deploying and configuring hardware
* configuring network switches and routing tables
* installing and configuring OpenStack infrastructure services
* performing upgrades
* adding new compute nodes or cells to the deployment
* running database schema migrations
* fighting with whatever configuration management tool they use

Whilst admins spend time:

* managing quotas
* tracking capacity
* monitoring service availability
* setting up host aggregates
* creating new instance types
* un-doing user's problematic actions
* enabling or disabling services

I believe that one of the problems that the OpenStack Compute API has is
that it lumps all users -- end users, admins, and operators -- together.
The same API that allows an end user to launch an instance exposes
resource endpoints for an admin to create flavors and host aggregates
and resource endpoints for an operator to add new compute nodes to the
deployment.

In other words, the API is unfocused and thus, IMO, less effective at
imparting value to the targeted audience (because the audience is so
well, untargeted).

I think it would be of value to begin segregating the APIs and the ways
in which we communicate with each group. Users building cloud apps on an
OpenStack API should be treated differently than the operator struggling
to migrate a database schema between major releases of OpenStack.

Best,
-jay
matt
2014-03-31 17:14:30 UTC
With OOO we're really be dealing with more of the operations / service
cloud and then the user cloud. Which IMHO is as it should be.

As far as the APIs, if role based functionality was more easily
discoverable it might be easier for users to pull adaptive documentation
and create adaptive client help screens.

I'd rather target that then separating out APIs as we do with keystone.
But that's just me.

-Matt
Post by Jay Pipes
I actually think it is important to segregate the Operators group from
the Administrators group, for one main reason. The activities that each
performs are fundamentally different.
You had some great points here, and I do think names get confusing.
Depending on the structure of a company the Operator/Admin line can even
get blurred at larger shops. Regardless, I think it behoves us to help
the User Committee articulate all the appropriate voices - "Users",
"Admin" and "Operators" - versus striving for another model.

Thanks!
Matt